In the West, Google has virtually the monopoly on Internet search in most countries. But in China, Baidu (百度), HaoSou (好搜) and Sogou (搜狗) search engines are dominating.
Baidu is the most popular search engine in China. As of May 2021, it accounts for 72% of the Chinese search engine market share.
If your website is registered under the .cn domain, then below are some tips to keep in mind for improving your website’s SEO :
Creating unique content
Baidu will highlight unique content, so make sure not to duplicate other versions of your content elsewhere on the web, otherwise Baidu will shadow the duplicated contents.
Use simple URLs
– Avoid special characters, numbers and dashes into the URLs
– Use popular keywords
– Use SEO friendly words for news pages related
Pay attention to quality and quantity
Make sure that your publications have a minimum of 300 words on each page.
Think about mobile optimization
In China, 61% of the Internet traffic is made on the mobile phone, consequently all your website pages, articles and social media posts should be optimized for mobile, below are some requests for mobile version :
– Report your website on Webmaster Tools
– Highlight the visual quality of the web page
– Produce qualitative content
– Make responsive design for the accessibility of the website and pages
– Ergonomics and optimal UX experience are important
– Good readability of the page is pleasant
– Fast loading time (between 1 and 3 seconds) is highly recommended
– No error pages displayed
– Use the meta tag “location” by mentioning the province and the contact details of the company to allow the mobile website to be located
More information for mobile content adaptation on this website.
Take a look at research trends
By using Baidu Index, you can determine what are the research trends in China. You can refine your search by provinces, cities, age groups, gender, socio-professional category…
Get the official website icon “官方” which shows validation by Baidu
Validation icon of Louis Vuitton on Baidu
Showing this “官方” icon off will increase your click rate and your trust rank for a better e-reputation. More information on this site.
Advertising on Baidu’s display network is a powerful way to increase brand exposure in China. By setting up advanced targeting advertising, you could reach the right audience that could be interested in your website.
Creating traffic from your social medias to your website
Florasis’ Wechat account
From your posts published on Wechat, QR codes or on the Wechat’s account menu bar, all of these tools should redirect to your official website.