Did you know that China is the world’s second-largest cosmetics market after the U.S. in terms of revenue according to Statista ? This ranking is powered by urbanization, growing disposable income by Chinese people, and of course social media’s huge influence.
China’s beauty industry is experiencing rapid growth and international beauty brands are taking up Chinese social media, especially on Xiaohongshu (RED).
How do international beauty brands enter the Chinese market ?
Brand positioning and branding communication are key points to reach Chinese customers.
But before that, you have to set up a brand notoriety strategy.
1) How do international beauty brands evaluate notoriety ?
The competition on the beauty market is fierce, including Chinese brands, foreign brands and the new trends which are constantly evolving.
The first step is to make a brand awareness analysis on Chinese social media and platforms :
- Baidu (Chinese main search engine, compared to Google)
- Zhihu (Chinese platform where you can get answers for all kinds of topics).
With 220 million registered users, Zhihu is a real tool of trust since it creates interactions of questions and answers between a group of people around a subject
- Wechat (Chinese first super application and most popular mobile application)
Estée Lauder (American cosmetics brands) on Baidu
Shiseido (Japanese cosmetics brands) on Wechat promoting eye cream
Then, do some research on Chinese e-commerce platforms :
- Taobao (China’s leading e-commerce website for C2C)
- Tmall (commercial website based on Tаоbао platform, operating on the B2C system)
- JD.com (the largest retailer in China)
Nivea (German skincare brand) on Tmall
2) How do international beauty brands differentiate from the competitors ?
Then, international brands have to identify their targets and highlight their added value according to the Chinese consumers needs :
- Taking the Chinese culture into consideration
- Be aware of the best sellers beauty products of the moment
- Be informed about the trends on the spotlight
Users on Zhihu gave feedback about skincare products of Innisfree (Korean beauty and skincare brand). The range of products above is mainly made with tea from Jeju Island
3) What are the marketing methods for international beauty brands ?
After completing these steps :
Raising awareness → Creating interest → Branding communication → Customers conversion
Brands need to implement marketing strategy with the help of specialized agencies :
- Market Survey
- Customers perceptions and habits survey
- Marketing solutions: WeChat marketing, Xiaohongshu marketing in particular
Dior’s Wechat mini program store
For more information about the Chinese market, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
We can propose you customized digital marketing services according to your needs.
For more information about Digital marketing and business in China, subscribe to our newsletter : https://www.subscribepage.com/chinabusinessletter